Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolution

Today is the first day of the new year. It is a Friday, as new as any other Friday that dawns. Every morning, every Friday that arrives is full of possibilities, hope and promise like a playground that beckons me to come and play. Every Friday, if I count back 365 days, is the start of a new year. It is a new year and a new beginning. So what makes this Friday this calendar date so special? Why is it a day filled with resolutions and hope? Why do we celebrate Thursday evening the arrival of this Friday’s dawn? Should not every day be a new year’s eve? Should not every day be a celebration of new beginnings and hope? If I compartmentalize my life in blocks of twelve months what could I be missing? If I know on Wednesday that Thursday would not arrive how would I live on Wednesday? Would I hold off drinking every drop of life, love and hope on Wednesday because it was not the calendar’s New Year’s Eve? Today is the first day of a new year. So is tomorrow. May I stay awake and celebrate throughout this day, this Friday, the anticipation of tomorrow, Saturday. May every day be a celebration of hope, beginnings, dreams and new starts. That is my new year’s resolution which will be resolved every day, every true new year’s eve.